Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rockabye Garden

A few days ago, I went out to a friend's ranch to go rock hunting...but, but not for little rocks. I'm talking "Boone & Crockett" rocks! I'm in the process of creating a new xeriscape 'garden' in front of our house. It began by digging out a 12'x16' hole (2.5' deep); then it was filled with amended soil...mixed with native soil.


Before I could begin planting trees, shrubs and flowers, I had to first 'plant' my beautiful boulders that are covered with lichen in hues of orange and lime green. Anita's husband loaded my pick-up with two huge rocks and I also added several other large stones that will serve as the garden border. I'm about midway through the project -- need one more rock gathering trip to complete this part. I also need to extract a wonderful, old iron headboard from a ranch dump. It is very ornate and completely rusted. It will rest in the back corner (at an angle) of the garden and Morning Glories will climb all over it (I hope). 


In case you're interested in what I've planted thus far and will be planting, here is the list: Moonglow Juniper, Alberta Spruce, Chokecherry, Blue Chip Spruce (creeping), Limeglow Juniper (feathered branches, creeping), Autumn Spirea (pale green and plum foliage, pink flowers), Potentilla, Yellow Nine Barks, Climbing Rose (wild rose pink), Native Sagebrush and Yucca. Flowers: Russian Sage, Clump Dianthus, Gaillardia, Penstemmon, Batchelor Buttons, Painted Daisy, 3 varieties of Artemesia, Salvia, ornamental grasses and Hollyhocks up next to the house. This is southside exposure.


Here is Anita and my Rat Terrier. We were still in the hunting phase. After I get the Xeriscape garden done, next will be window boxes on the two windows on that side of the house. A friend made two large ones out of heavy barn-board for me. I'll put pale pink Million Bells and white Bacopa in them, which will result in a profusion of flowers spilling over the edges of the window boxes. They will set on very large antique harness hookes - once used to hang draft horse harness on. We've just completed the first coat of new paint on the house - barn red (with white trim)...which goes with the rest of the ranch outbuildings. I like the old-fashioned 'farm & ranch' color scheme. This is the year of our homestead's 'make over' which is way overdue. With all the changes that we're working on...re-fencing and dirt-work, these also will come: a new mud room addition, covered patio and car port. It will be wonderful when it is DONE!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful stones!

Apron Senorita said...

I find so much beauty in the simple things in life, especially those that God created. We share the same appreciation for rustic victorian. Thanks for sharing.

Yoli :)

Brenda said...

Oh I am glad you use the old fashioned farm colors! I love all of the plants you mentioned. I cannot wait to see your finished projects. I think ranching is big so your garden must be big. I have been trying to collect some large rocks to border a natural pond we have in front of our house. One iota of the size of what you are collecting. I have been cleaning out the leaves and sticks that have fallen in my plantings this past week. Since we live surrounded by woods it is forever a job to keep them from taking back over the space you have cleaned out for gardens and flowers. I am sorry that you could not follow the link I sent you but I will be posting about the hen house later this week. Hubs has been working on finishing it up this weekend. He designed and built it himself. Thanks for giving me some good chick advice. I have only lost one. She was pretty puny when she came with the others. Tried to save her but she just would not have it. Made me cry quite a few tears. Have a wonderful week!

Unknown said...

Ahhh... High Desert Gardening! Love it!Reminds me of home and our very first garden experiences and I can smell the sage all the way from here. I am excited to see all of your plants flourishing. Gardening in Nevada was challenging sometimes due to the deep clay and rocky soil but oh so rewarding! Rocks were a big part of our garden planning too. We had a real appreciation for them as they were everywhere. I can honestly say, we have not had to use an auger to plant anything since we moved to Plymouth, Ma!

Happy Rock Gardening Shery!

Deb ( raised a desert rose, now a Cottage Farmgirl blooming in Plymouth, MA. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, you lucky girl!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shery -what a pleasure to find and meet a "neighbor". I am enjoying your blog. I have recently been visiting Mary Jane Farmgirls. Yesterday, I decided to change my blog name. It will take awhile, but I will be Dakota Garden. I just started blogging last fall, so this has been a fun learning process. I will add you to my blogroll. Gloria PS If you come by way, do stop for a visit, I know my garden would love to meet you.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Oh! Oh! love the rock, yes I'm a rock hound*sigh*
Thanks for your comment on our blog and in looking at your blog, we're going to be back lots!*wink*

Love the pictures at the bottom, espcially of your horses, they are beautiful. We hope someday to get another Fjord, for a team as well as to ride together again.

I just discovered Mary Jane's Farm magazine, through a neighbor. We trade and share magazines, so not one person has to afford all the subscriptions( they are elderly and on a very fixed income) My absolute favorite magazine is Small Farmer's Journal, then Backwoods Home or Countryside.

Love you stock tank bed, we used one( smaller) for something similar, housing strawberries, to help keep out the bindweed.

You'll see more of us, love your pictures and blog!
Blessings,
Kelle