Thursday, October 1, 2009

Writing For The Brand





 
When you're young, sometimes you dream about where you'll be in twenty years. I never dreamed my life would be what it is. With age comes mileage, sometimes wisdom. Twenty years ago does not seem that long ago, but it does feel that far away. Being over 50 makes you think even more about the future and how time flies. The clock ticks more loudly. There is an urgent sense to make the most of the next 20 years.

I've been involved in 'design for hire' for 20+ years. For several years, I worked primarily for Better Homes and Gardens on a freelance basis, I also worked for a handful of other publishers and I self-published too. I designed patterns for historic looking toys (Teddy bears being my favorite) and home decor items. One of my early historic reproduction dolls found her way to Rockefeller Center, displayed in a Christmas exhibit featuring traditional Americana Folk Art.

'Nature crafting', earthy themes and old things have always appealed to me. I've made and sold gemstone jewelry - mixing in vintage goodies. I've written historical articles pertaining to Morgan Horse bloodlines and I served as editor of a small horse club publication. These days, I write a 'usually weekly' column for our local newspaper.

I recently joined MaryJane's Farm'as a freelance contributor. I'm grateful for the opportunity to take part in MaryJane Butter's broad vision. I'll share crafting ideas and written material  in MaryJane's 'farmgirl sisterhood' monthly online publication called The Cluck. I'm looking forward to this new adventure and to be 'riding for the brand', or rather, writing for the brand.





1 comment:

The Feathered Nest said...

Hi Shery! It's so nice to meet you ~ You are beautiful!! And your talents are as well! Thank you so much for your precious email....and I'm so glad that I found your gorgeous blog! Look at those amazing animals...and I think you need to add photographer to your list of talents as well, your photos are gorgeous! Your velveteen bunny is so wonderful, it's design is so much more similar to the illustrations in the book. I'll have to look for the audio with Meryl Streep, I'm sure Clara would love that as she gets older :) I would love to send a few friends over to "meet" you and I'm so glad you're here ~ how cool too that you're working with MaryJane, she's such a precious woman, I was fortunate enough to meet her once when she visited a friend of mine in Georgia. I'll have to add you to my list of "have-to" visit!!! hugs and love, Dawn