Friday, October 2, 2009

"Oh Bother", said Pooh.




Looking over the many things I enjoy creating or RE-creating etc...I think the most exciting is making historic looking animal toys reminiscent of the very early 1900s. Being a lifelong animal lover, there is special joy in bringing to life my own little critters. My 'babies' don't look new even when they are newborns. True antique toys wear time so gracefully, and they're often quite shabby from having been loved long and hard. That is the look I try to mimic - a spirit and an expression that defies newness. The same is true of many other goodies I enjoy making; I'll be posting photos in the near future.
For now, here is my Pooh. Winnie has been a favorite of countless children down through the generations, and he is mine also. The version  of Winnie via modern animation, while cute, does not have the charm and distinctive sweetness that was so evident in the real Pooh created by A. A. Milne and his illustrator, Ernest H. Shepard. I dedicate my Pooh to the endearing little bear they made famous.






10 comments:

Dorthe said...

Hello , and welcome to this wonderfull world.
What beautifull pictures and photos you have posted here.Found you because of dear Dawn, and will surely return for wisits.
Dorthe

Susie~From My Home To Yours said...

Hi there! Found your blog via Dawn at The Feathered Nest. Welcome to Blogland and congrats on your new writting adventure! Your pics are terrific! Look forward to 'following you'...Take care and have a blessed day...
Susie

marie said...

Welcome to the Land of Blog. I love all your photographs and postcards. The autumn image today is beautiful and I love the little prim dove.
I'll be visiting again.

PS. I read about you on Dawn's blog too!

Barbara Jacksier said...

Hi

I saw your link on Dawn and wanted to stop by and welcome you to bloglandia. I've been blogging for a little over 2 years and adore the friendships I've made and the inspirations I've gathered. Please tell more about your life on the ranch. I'm hooked. And if you have photos of any body of water, link to my Waterside Wednesday next week. That way my readers will discover you, to.

Charmingdesigns said...

Welcome. Your blog is off to a wonderful start. Love your posts! It is nice to meet you. Laurie

Jann said...

The nature photos on your blog are just gorgeous! Did you take them all? Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging--it is so much fun to meet new people and see their fun and inspiring posts. I will be back soon! Smiles, Jann

The Other Side of Me said...

Hi Sherry,

It was nice to visit your blog! I have been to Wyoming several times and I miss seeing it and spending time there. Enjoy the Fall!

Tammy

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Hi Shery, I just came over from Dawn. Welcome to blogland! Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures and have fun blogging!

Karen Valentine said...

Hi Shery! Thanks so much for coming by for a visit and leaving me a sweet note. I see that you are new to blogland. Welcome!!!! I have been here since April of last year and I LOVE it!! You will make so many new friends. Have a wonderful weekend. I look forward to charting again!
Karen
My Desert Cottage

The Feathered Nest said...

I just LOVE your Pooh!!! Such a precious face Shery...xxoo, Dawn